Spirit Airlines is expanding its footprint in Boston.
The carrier announced it will add five new daily routes from Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) this summer. This will give travelers an ultra-low-cost option on flights to Charlotte, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Los Angeles and Phoenix. With the five new routes, Spirit will fly a total of 14 nonstop routes from Boston.
In doing so, Spirit will go up against Boston’s busiest carriers — including JetBlue, American Airlines and Delta Air Lines — on routes to those rivals’ key hubs.
Related: What is Spirit Airlines elite status worth in 2023?
Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT), Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX) are major hubs for American, while Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) is a major hub for United Airlines. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is a hub for not only each of the “Big Three” — American, Delta and United — but is also a focus city for JetBlue.
Hubs dominated by a single carrier — such as American in Charlotte and United in Houston — often see fares skew higher on certain routes with limited competition. However, Spirit’s routes from Boston could be interesting to watch, given that BOS has become the center of a turf war between JetBlue (and Northeast Alliance partner American) and Delta for dominance.
Spirit’s summer expansion spree isn’t over with Boston, though. The carrier announced in February that it will begin operating flights from Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC) in California to LAS, DFW and San Diego International Airport (SAN) on June 7.
Related: How to upgrade your seat on Spirit Airlines
Still, Spirit took the opportunity to tout the additional competition it would bring to New England’s largest city.
“It’s exciting to grow our service in Boston and provide new nonstop options to a variety of popular destinations across the country,” John Kirby, Spirit’s vice president of network planning, said in a statement.
Here is a list of when Spirit will begin these new routes:
- BOS to CLT starts June 7.
- BOS to DFW starts June 7.
- BOS to IAH starts Aug. 9.
- BOS to LAX starts July 5.
- BOS to PHX starts Aug. 9.
- Where to next? 5 European destinations that JetBlue might add
- JetBlue unveils much-anticipated New York-to-Paris route
- When is the best time to book flights for the cheapest airfare?
- The best airline credit cards
- What exactly are airline miles, anyway?
- 6 real-life strategies you can use when your flight is canceled or delayed
- Maximize your airfare: The best credit cards for booking flights
- The best credit cards to reach elite status
- What are points and miles worth? TPG’s monthly valuations