If you are trying to earn Southwest elite status this year, you’ll be happy to learn that Southwest Rapid Rewards is now offering a new promotion. This promotion makes earning Southwest status easier by offering bonus tier-qualifying points and qualifying flights on select activities between March 1 and May 31.
As a reminder, Southwest A-List status requires you to fly 25 qualifying flights or earn 35,000 tier qualifying points per calendar year. Southwest A-List Preferred status requires you to fly 50 qualifying flights or earn 70,000 tier qualifying points per calendar year.
This new Southwest promotion is only helpful for earning Southwest elite status — you won’t earn extra Southwest points that you can redeem for flights through this promotion. Southwest offered a similar promotion last year, but here’s what you need to know about this promotion (which was first reported by One Mile at a Time).
Details of this promotion
This new Southwest promotion lets you register once and then enjoy three ways to earn more tier-qualifying points and qualifying flights toward A-List or A-List Preferred status.
Here’s a look at the three ways you can earn bonus tier-qualifying points and flights after registering for this promotion:
- Earn double tier-qualifying points on all qualifying flights when you register, book and fly between March 1 and May 31.
- Reward travel counts toward elite status when you register, book and fly between March 1 and May 31. Specifically, you’ll earn tier-qualifying flights and get 10% of the Southwest points you redeemed as tier-qualifying points.
- Earn 3,000 bonus tier-qualifying points for every $5,000 you spend with any Rapid Rewards credit card from March 1 to May 31.
Related: The best Southwest Airlines credit cards
Southwest says the bonus tier-qualifying points from these three promotions will post before June 30. But the terms and conditions of the promotion provide more guidance:
- Double tier-qualifying points from flights should appear in your account within 72 hours of your flight.
- Flight segment credit should post to your account for award flights within 10 days of your flight.
- Bonus tier-qualifying points from credit card spending should post to your account four weeks after the end of the promotion.
Note: For the first two bonus-earning methods, you must register for the promotion then book and fly between March 1 and May 31. So, only new flights that you book after registering for this promotion will qualify.
Finally, the promotion doesn’t mention the Southwest Companion Pass or Companion Pass qualifying points. So, I expect the extra tier-qualifying points you can earn through this promotion won’t be Companion Pass qualifying.
Related: Comparing the Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority, Premier and Plus credit cards
How to register for Southwest promotions
If this promotion sounds useful, go to Southwest’s website to check whether you are eligible (and register if so). To find the promotion, log in to your Southwest account and navigate to your account homepage. Scroll down and check the ‘My promotions’ area on the left-hand side of the page.
You might see the ‘Register once for more ways to earn toward A-List or A-List Preferred status’ promotion. Click ‘Register’ to learn more about the promotion. You’ll still need to click ‘Register now’ to register for the promotion.
Related: Your complete guide to maximizing Southwest Rapid Rewards
If you’re striving to earn or requalify for Southwest Airlines elite status this year, check whether you are eligible for this promotion (and register if so). Once you register, consider booking new flights for travel during the promotion.
Likewise, you may want to spend more on your Southwest credit card during the promotion; doing so could let you earn threshold bonuses on top of the tier-qualifying points you already earn on your spending. If you want to add a new Southwest credit card to your wallet, look at the current Southwest card offers to pick the best card.