American Airlines is currently offering a rare deal for round-trip and one-way fares in the new year. To celebrate the start of 2023, the carrier has round-trip flights starting at just $90 and one-way flights for as little as $45 for specific routes.
These deals are available for basic economy fares for travel from January through March, with exact availability determined by the route.
Airlines: American Airlines.
Routes: Houston to Los Angeles; Nashville to Tampa/New York; Austin, Texas, to Orlando/Las Vegas/Denver/Cincinnati; Denver to Phoenix/Philadelphia; Atlanta to New York/Chicago/Philadelphia; Phoenix to San Francisco; Nashville to New York; and others.
How to book: Directly through the airline’s sale page.
Travel dates: Jan. 5-March 8, 2023.
Book by: ASAP, with a 21-day advance purchase required.
As mentioned, this sale is for flights from specific routes for both one-way and round-trip flights, including:
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) to Denver International Airport (DEN), starting at $45 one-way.
- Tampa International Airport (TPA) to Nashville International Airport (BNA), starting at $47 one-way.
- Orlando International Airport (MCO) to AUS, starting at $58 one-way.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), starting at $69 one-way.
- DEN to AUS and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX), starting at $90 round trip.
- AUS to Harry Reid International Airport (LAS), starting at $90 round trip.
- TPA to BNA, starting at $94 round trip.
- AUS to MCO, starting at $116 round trip.
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA) to BNA, starting at $118 round trip.
- LGA to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), starting at $121 round trip.
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) and O’Hare International Airport (ORD) to ATL, and PHX to San Francisco International Airport (SFO), starting at $138 round trip.
To view a complete list of available routes, visit the American website, where you’ll notice that the same route might be available for different dates and prices, as shown below.
To book a flight, select your route to verify that the deal is still available as advertised. For example, you could book a round-trip flight from New York to Nashville for $118 for travel either the third or last week of January.
Click on the flight of your choice to view the available options and locate the round-trip flight listed for $118, of which there may be multiple options.
In selecting your flights, you’ll be asked to accept the basic economy fare restrictions, which is American’s most restrictive class. Remember that no changes are allowed with basic economy fares, plus you’ll be in the last boarding group and must pay to choose your seat. However, American’s basic economy fare includes one full-size carry-on item and one personal item.
Maximize your purchase
Be sure to use a credit card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2 points per dollar spent on travel), the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® (2 miles per dollar spent on eligible American Airlines purchases), The Platinum Card® from American Express (5 points per dollar spent on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year) or the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 points per dollar spent on airfare).
Related: Best credit cards for American Airlines flyers
This deal is subject to flight schedules, and the sales advertised may change in price depending on availability when you book. Nonetheless, you can find round-trip and one-way flights for travel in January, February and March for select routes.
Related: Southwest deal: Get 25% off one-way trips for Christmas and New Year’s Eve travel